About My Blog

I created this blog to help share ABBA information with other fans and to show off my new collection items :)


Please note: Collection item photos are from my own personal collection. These are not stock photos. If you wish to use any of my photos elsewhere, please have the courtesy to ask first - Thank you :)

Thursday 12 January 2017

ABBA Hit Number 1 In Australia With SOS ! 12 January 1976



ABBA performing 'SOS' on the Bandstand special in Australia in March 1976.



On 12th January 1976 ABBA hit number 1 in Australia with 'SOS' after being released here in November 1975.

'SOS' was the 5th single from ABBA's self titled 1975 album.

'SOS' marked a huge turnaround in ABBA's fortunes, most notably in the UK and Ireland, where it returned the group to the Top 10 for the first time since 'Waterloo'.

Reaching #6 and #4 respectively, 'SOS' started a run of 18 consecutive Top 10 hits for ABBA in the UK and Ireland.

'SOS' reached #1 in Australia, Belgium, France, West Germany (where it spent 7 weeks at the top), New Zealand and South Africa, and was a Top 3 hit in Austria, the Netherlands, Norway, Italy (where it became ABBA's most successful hit), Mexico, Rhodesia and Switzerland.

The song also became ABBA's second Top 20 hit in the United States, peaking at #15 (due to the single charting in the U.S. before 'I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do', whereas elsewhere 'SOS' charted afterwards).

Some of the gorgeous picture covers from around the world.













No comments:

Post a Comment