The next release in the ABBA Deluxe Edition series revisits ABBA’s début album, Ring Ring, originally issued in 1973. Featuring the very first ABBA recording, ‘People Need Love’, along with well-known tracks such as ‘He Is Your Brother’ and the groundbreaking title track, the original album has been expanded with no less than 13 bonus tracks, 4 of which are new to CD, plus a DVD of rare television material. Ring Ring Deluxe Edition will be released October 14, 2013.
The first disc in the 2-disc package is a CD, which features the original album plus 13 bonus tracks. The bonus selections seek to expand the view of the album by including not only various non-album single sides, but also the rare original versions of the album tracks ‘I Saw It In The Mirror’ and ‘I Am Just A Girl’, both of which were Björn and Benny productions for other artists.
The scope of ABBA’s early years is further expanded by bonus tracks such as the rare 1970 recording ‘There’s A Little Man’, featuring Agnetha on backing vocals, her first contribution to a recording written and produced by Björn and Benny; ‘Man vill ju leva lite dessemellan’, a 1972 hit single for Frida featuring backing vocals by her fellow ABBA members; ‘En hälsning till våra parkarrangörer’, an ultra-rare spoken-word promotion single from 1972 on which the four ABBA members talk up their 1973 tour of Sweden; ‘Hej gamle man!’, the 1970 hit recording that was the first to feature all four ABBA members; and the 1971 single ‘Välkommen till världen’ by Lill-Babs, written and produced by Benny and enhanced by prominent backing vocals by the four future ABBA members.
The DVD features rare television performances of ‘People Need Love’ and ‘Ring Ring’ from Swedish and Austrian TV, respectively, plus a 2012 report from Swedish television wherein Benny tells the story of the writing and recording of ‘Ring Ring’, the first song to feature the famous multi-layered ABBA sound. In the report, Benny goes in-depth on the group’s creative process, isolating the different tracks on the original multi-track tape.
The package also includes a 20-page illustrated booklet featuring an extensive essay on the making of the album.
Don’t miss out on this Deluxe Edition of Ring Ring – featuring Agnetha, Björn, Benny and Frida’s first steps towards international stardom!
RING RING – DELUXE EDITION
DISC 01: CD:
1. Ring Ring
2. Another Town, Another Train
4. People Need Love
5. I Saw It In The Mirror
6. Nina, Pretty Ballerina
7. Love Isn’t Easy (But It Sure Is Hard Enough)
8. Me And Bobby And Bobby’s Brother
9. He Is Your Brother
10. She’s My Kind Of Girl
11. I Am Just A Girl
12. Rock’n Roll Band
13. Ring ring (bara du slog en signal) (Swedish Version)
15. Santa Rosa
16. Ring Ring (Spanish Version)
17. Wer im Wartesaal der Liebe Steht (German Version of Another Town, Another Train)
18. Ring Ring (German Version)
19. En hälsning till våra parkarrangörer
Extra bonus tracks – Early versions:
20. Hej gamle man! / Björn & Benny
21. There’s A Little Man / Billy G-son
22. I Saw It In The Mirror / Billy G-son
23. Jag är blott en man / Jarl Kulle
24. Man vill ju leva lite dessemellan / Anni-Frid Lyngstad
25. Välkommen till världen / Lill-Babs
DISC 02: DVD:
1. People Need Love (Vi i femman, SVT)
2. Ring Ring (Spotlight, ORF)
3. Ring Ring revealed (Låtarna som förändrade musiken, UR)
4. International Sleeve Gallery